Harlan E. McClure
Harlan E. McClure was a graduate of the Royal Swedish Academy and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He was hired to head the department of architecture in 1955. At the time, the school occupied the third floor of Riggs Hall. He became Dean of the newly created School of Architecture when it moved to new quarters in Lee Hall in 1958, and expanded a rigorous curriculum to six years.
"Under McClure's guidance, Clemson's architectural program achieved a level of quality recognized around the world, and in 1969 the school was designated a college. The Charles E. Daniel Center for Building Research and Urban Studies was established in 1972 in a historic edifice in Genoa, Italy." (Riley, Helene M., "Clemson University", Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, South Carolina, 2002, Library of Congress card number 2002108889, ISBN 0-7385-1470-5, page 102.)
This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,279th article.