W. M. Williams was Clemson's second head football coach, leading the Tigers for one season, in 1897. A native of West Point, Georgia, he played at Auburn in 1894, 1895 and 1896 under Coach John Heisman, and was considered the best blocking halfback in the south.
Williams would lead the Clemson squad to a 2-2 season and the state championship. During his tenure as coach, Williams led the Tigers in playing two games in three days. He finished with a .500 winning percentage.
|Preceded by: Walter Merritt Riggs||Clemson University Football Coaches||Succeeded by: John Penton|