Sirrine Hall is the largest academic building on campus, with more than 4.1 acres of space inside. Sirrine Hall is named for Joseph Emory Sirrine, a Life Trustee of Clemson (1928-1947) whose foundation made a major gift for the construction of the building. Construction began in 1939. Sirrine also designed Textile Hall in Greenville, among his many projects. Sirrine Stadium in Greenville is named for him.