Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Circa September 1875: A new station is completed at Liberty by the Atlanta & Richmond Air Line Railway, several issues of The Pickens Sentinel report this month. ("The Pickens Sentinel, Pickens Court House, South Carolina, 1872-1893, Historical and Genealogical Abstracts, Volume 1, compiled by Peggy Burton Rich and Marion Ard Whitehurst, Heritage Books, Inc., Bowie, Maryland, 1994, ISBN 1-55613-985-3, pages 8-10.)
- 1886: Greenville, South Carolina hires future Clemson College professor William S. Morrison as superintendent of schools.
- 1929: Over 1,200 cadets report for the fall semester. (Reference: "Clemson Opens With Large Enrollment; Over 1200 Students Have Reported", The Tiger, Wednesday, 18 September 1929, Volume XXV, Number 1, page 1.)
- 1930: "The Tiger" reports that 1,307 students have reported to the Registrar's office for matriculation, of which, 500 are new students, the largest incoming class, and six are graduate students.
- 1930: Capt. P.T. Heffner, of the of the College Military Department, is added to the Tiger coaching squad as line coach. Capt. Heffner attended Colorado College, graduating in 1916. He subsequently studied under Pop Warner, Knute Rockne, and Dick Hanley, and thus became familiar with the three major styles of football now in use. ("The Tiger", September 17, 1930, Volume XXVI, Number 1, page 1). Pete Heffner would work with the backs for three years, 1930-1932. (Clemson 2006 Tiger Football media guide, page 175).
- 1944: War correspondent Wright Bryan is wounded and captured by the Germans in France. He spends several months in Oflag 64, a Nazi POW camp in Poland, until his liberation in 1945.
- 1945: Use of the Issaqueena Bombing Range comes to an end with the conclusion of wartime training and all U.S. Army Air Force personnel except for two caretakers are withdrawn.
- 1954: The new Canteen, on the fifth level of the future Johnstone Hall opens, replacing the Juice Shop in Tillman Hall.
- 1962: Bud Kelly's Gulf service station opens on the southeast corner of the Old Greenville Highway and US 76 in Clemson. It will stay in business until November 1999.
- 1962: The Clemson University Counterguerrilla Platoon is organized to give Army ROTC cadets an opportunity for advanced military training. (TAPS 1967, Volume 57, page 193.)
- 1967: Buford E. "Butch" Trent assumes duties as new general secretary of the YMCA. He replaces John Roy Cooper of Clemson, who retired after serving the "Y" for 40 years. Trent is a 35-year old native of Pacolet, South Carolina, who returns to Clemson from Virginia Polytechnic Institute, where he served as General Secretary of the "Y" there for three years. He had previously served as Assistant Secretary of the Clemson "Y" before leaving in 1964. (The Tiger, "Trent Emphasizes Spiritual Guidance", 1 September 1967, Volume LXI, Number 2, page 3.)
- 1969: The Holiday Inn of Clemson opens on the Highway 123 By-Pass.
- 2006: The Main Street Deli & Coffeehouse opens in Central.
|August||Months of the Year||October|