Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1912 - President Walter Merritt Riggs brings to light more than fifteen years of embezzlement from the college mess hall by steward August "Shorty" Schilletter, hiring a private detective out of his own pocket so that there will be no school financial records involved.
- 1942: Rationing of gasoline and sugar is imposed by the government due to wartime conditions.
- 1944: Due to wartime conditions, Clemson graduates its smallest class of all time - 14 students.
- 1946: Most of the structures and military property of the Issaqueena Bombing Range are removed by this time.
- 1959: Greenville Memorial Auditorium is dedicated.
- 1963: A North American YF-86H-1-NA Sabre fighter jet, 52-1976, similar to the mount Major Rudolf Anderson, Jr. had flown during the Korean War, is mounted in his memory in Cleveland Park in Greenville next to the Reedy River.
- 1969: Craig Mobley becomes the first African-American student athlete to sign an athletic grant-in-aid with Clemson University. The six-foot guard had been named the most valuable player on Chester High School's basketball team, as well as MVP in the Eastern AAA Conference in 1968-1969. (Riley, Helene M., "Clemson University", Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, South Carolina, 2002, Library of Congress card number 2002108889, ISBN 0-7385-1470-5, page 119.)
- 1982 - Former men's basketball Coach Tates Locke, (1970-1975), publishes book, Caught in the Net, giving his version of his involvement in the recruiting scandal that put the Clemson basketball program on probation in 1975.
- 1993: Clemson mechanical engineering students win a $1,500 prize in the Clean Air Vehicle Association (CAVA) Grand Prix Conference and Exposition in Atlanta when their electric car places first for design paper, second overall and second for performance. Seventeen undergraduates redesigned and rebuilt a 1980 Volkswagen Rabbit for the competition, converting it to electrical power, everything but the body being redone for the contest. The electric motor, controller and batteries were provided by their manufacturers through CAVA. Special safety devices had to be installed, including a roll cage and an emergency switch that can disconnect all power to the motor. The students substituted a five-speed transmission for the standard 4-speed. They redesigned the suspension for improved handling. "This conversion process was totally student designed, driven and managed," said Amit Bagchi, assistant professor of mechanical engineering and the students' faculty advisor. David Wilkerson was executive coordinator of the student group, called Clemson Alternative Automotive Technology. Student team leaders included Brad Merritt, the electrical group; Nitin Shanbhag, the mechanical group; Brad Golden, the group coordinating electrical and mechanical aspects of design; and Edie Johnson, publicity and fund raising. The Clean Air Vehicle Association and Manheim Auctions provided Clemson with the VW. Major sponsors for the entry included General Electric, Goodyear and Trojan Batteries. The department of mechanical engineering provided funding, and engineering services provided technical assistance and facilities. Other sponsors included Automotive Performance Systems, Troppo Veloce Restorations, I/O Port Racing Supplies and REBO Machining. (Clemson World News, August 1993, Volume 15, Number 2, page 5.)
- 2007: YNK, a private club located in Rogers Plaza on US 123, Tiger Boulevard, is opened by Richard Martin.
- 2010: The annual summer business closure cycle sees Ancheaux's, Flip Flops, and Griffin's Sports Bar & Grill all ceasing operation.
- 2011: Last week of May - The oak trees at the east end of Memorial Stadium are removed due to damage by squirrels and replaced later in the summer by new saplings.
- 2013: The Rooplex at 113 Earle Street is slated to be demolished to make way for future development.