Jump to navigation Jump to search
July 29 in Clemson History
Events on July 29 in Clemson's History
- 1844: Milton Lafayette Donaldson, future Life Trustee for Clemson Agricultural College, is born this date in the Greenville District, South Carolina.
- 1891: First election of faculty members takes place. Chosen were C. M. Furman, English; C. W. Welch, physics; W. S. Morrison, history; J. S. Newman, agriculture; A. V. Zane, applied mechanics, and President Henry Aubrey Strode, assigned as chair of mathematics. Among the assistant and associate professors elected were Richard Newman Brackett, soon to beome head of the Chemistry Department.
- 1948: During a regular meeting of the Board of Directors, the need for additional beds and space at Oconee Memorial Hospital is addressed and plans for an new wing, to be added at the rear center of the building, as well as a basement and a new floor to the west, are made. It will open in 1950. ("The Heritage of Oconee County, Vol. 1, 1868-1995, The Blue Ridge Arts Council, Seneca, South Carolina, 1995, Library of Congress card number 95-61417, page 23.)
- 1985: President Walter T. Cox places Vice President of Business and Finance Melvin Barnette on medical leave. Within three months Barnette will be fired. But not before campus security is removed from his purvue and a new safety director selected as James Brummitt is let go. Cox also supports awarding a year-long sabbatical to former President Bill Atchley at a cost of $100,000. Cox also accepts responsibility for making an oral contract of three years with former athletic director Bill McLellan at $68,000 per annum. McLellan accepts a forced retirement. (Wunder, John R., "A Good Sport: Walter Thompson Cox, 1985-1986", McKale, Donald M., editor, "Tradition: A History of the Presidency of Clemson University", Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1988, ISBN 0-86554-296-1, page 257.)
- 1995: A Tribute To Coach Frank Howard held at the Fluor Daniel Center, Greenville, at 6:30 p.m., presented by the Greenville Touchdown Club. (Bourret, Tim, "Clemson University Football Vault", Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia, 2008, ISBN 0794824307, page 114.)
- 2008: The Clemson Wiki main page tallies hit number 54,000.
- 2008: Louise Odom Edwards, 92, former first lady of Clemson University, died July 29 at Sterling House, an assisted living residence in Central where she and President Emeritus Robert Cook Edwards have lived since December 2007
- A native of Red Springs, N.C, she attended Flora McDonald College in North Carolina. In addition to her husband, she is survived by a daughter, Nancy Edwards Reid and her husband, Bill; daughter-in-law Sandra Edwards Waggoner; brother, Joseph Thomas Odom Jr. and wife Martha Ann; sister, Josie Odom Galloway and husband Herbert; and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her son, Robert Cook Edwards Jr. Following a private committal service at Woodland Cemetery on the Clemson campus, there will be a memorial service at 2 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 1, at Clemson United Methodist Church, 300 Frontage Road in Clemson. The family will receive friends from 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, July 31, at Duckett----Larry Abernathy, and Clemson University President Deno Curris. The Pickens County legislative delegation honored her at a luncheon March 29, 1996. Memorial requests - In addition to flowers, memorials may be made to the following:
- Hospice of the Foothills
- 390 Keowee School Road
- Seneca, SC 29672
- Clemson United Methodist Church
- P.O. Box 590
- Clemson, SC 29633
- 521 N. McDuffie Street
- Anderson, SC 29621
- Clemson University Foundation
- P.O. Box 1889
- Clemson, SC 29633-1889
- Condolences may be expressed online or in person at the Duckett-Robinson Funeral Home, :Central-Clemson Commons.
|July 28||July||July 30|