Fort Hill Presbyterian Church
From the church's website:
On July 21, 1895, Fort Hill Presbyterian Church, the first church to serve the communities of Calhoun and Clemson College, was organized by the Presbytery of South Carolina, Presbyterian Church in the United States. The organizational meeting was held in Doyle's Hall, the second floor of Bogg's Store (now Calhoun Corners Restaurant). The thirty-three charter members elected three elders and two deacons. Worship services were conducted there regularly by their first minister, the Rev. Mr. Benjamin Palmer Ried, until April, 1896, when the congregation occupied their newly constructed building at the Church's present site.
Prior to that organizational meeting, Presbyterians and other early members of the faculty, along with their families, met in one of the partially completed buildings of the newly organized (1893) Clemson College.
Expansion of the building and mission of Fort Hill Church was continuous until a fire on December 4, 1932, completely destroyed the building. Since Clemson students had been worshipping in local churches instead of in the college chapel from 1913 on, it was urgent that the building be completely restored as quickly as possible. The local congregation and Presbyterians throughout the Synod of South Carolina responded generously and accomplished this within six months! In the early 1960's a new education building was constructed on the site of the old manse. Presently, the buildings house not only the ongoing program of the local congregation but also the program of Foothills Presbytery's Ministry to Clemson University.
Through her membership in Foothills Presbytery, Fort Hill Church has a part in the ownership and control of Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Presbyterian College in Clinton, South Carolina, the Presbyterian School of Christian Education in Richmond, Virginia and Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia.
Locally, Fort Hill Church provides Christian Education opportunities through her Sunday church school program for all ages, through Presbyterian ministry on the campus of Clemson University, through Foothills Presbytery's Camp Buc and though a variety of shot-term, small group learning and fellowship experiences.
Service opportunities are provided to Fort Hill members through the various committees of the Session, Presbyterian Women, the Men of the Church and various youth groups.
Organizations sponsored by For Hill Church, or using church facilities, include numerous Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops, Good Neighbors, Men of the Church, Presbyterian Women, Youth Fellowship, and a variety of community organizations.
Membership in Fort Hill Presbyterian church is open to all person who confess Jesus to be the Christ, the Son of God , our Lord and Savior.
- Laura Conrad, Pastor
- Bill Gause, Associate Pastor for University Ministry
- Mary Gause, Associate Pastor for Christian Education
- Rodney Norris, Associate Pastor for Youth & Young Adults
- Margaret MacKay, Music Director
- Lori Houck, Office Administrator
- Melissa Shook, Administrative Assistant
- Jack Stevenson, Parish Associate for Pastoral Counseling
- Fort Hill Presbyterian Church
- Office: 101 Edgewood Avenue
- Campus Ministry: 401 College Avenue
- Office: 101 Edgewood Avenue
- Clemson, South Carolina 29631
This is the Clemson Wiki project's 1,211th article.