Jump to navigation Jump to search
Events that occurred in 2017
2017 in Clemson History
Events that occurred in 2017
- Tentative football opponent Maryland, to be played in College Park, is not scheduled as that university switched to the Big Ten Conference on July 1, 2014. Tentative game against Duke is also not scheduled.
- January 9: Meeting number 1 ranked Alabama for the second consecutive year to play in the CFP Championship Game, held in Tampa, Florida, number 3 ranked Clemson mounts an epic drive late in the fourth quarter to defeat the Crimson Tide, 35-31, and secure the Tigers’ second National Championship, and the first in the play-off era. Deshaun Watson, playing in his final game as a Tiger, completes 36-56 passes for 420 yards and three scores, and adds 43 yards rushing and a touchdown to lead Clemson to victory. With 14 seconds left, the Tigers were trailing. Clemson had the ball on the Alabama nine yard line. A pass interference penalty on a pass to Mike Williams in the endzone brought the ball to the two. On the next play Watson completed a two yard scoring pass to Hunter Renfrow with one second left to give Clemson the game. The Tigers end the season with a 14-1 record overall.
- July 5-July 7: The Clemson sign is removed from the roof of the Clemson House in preparation for the eventual demolition of the historic structure.
- September 2: Clemson, ranked number 5, opens the football season at Memorial Stadium against first-time opponent Kent State, winning 56-3.
- September 9: Clemson, ranked number 3, plays Auburn, ranked number 13, in Memorial Stadium, winning 14-6.
- September 16: Clemson, still ranked number 3, plays at Louisville, ranked 14. The Tigers win, 47-21.
- September 23: Clemson, ranked number 2, hosts unranked Boston College, winning 34-7.
- September 30: Clemson, still ranked number 2, plays at Virginia Tech, ranked number 12, winning 31-17.
- October 7: Clemson, still ranked number 2, hosts unranked Wake Forest, winning 28-14.
- October 13: Clemson, still ranked number 2, plays at unranked Syracuse, getting upset, 24-27.
- October 21: Open date for football.
- October 28: Clemson, now ranked number 7, hosts unranked Georgia Tech, winning 24-10.
- November 4: Clemson, ranked number 6, plays N.C. State, ranked number 20, in Raleigh, winning 38-31.
- November 11: Clemson, ranked number 4, plays unranked Florida State in Death Valley, winning 31-14.
- November 18: Clemson, still ranked number 4, plays unranked The Citadel in Memorial Stadium, winning 61-3.
- November 25: Clemson, still ranked number 4, travels to Columbia to play South Carolina, ranked number 24. The Tigers beat the Gamecocks, 34-10.
- December 2: Clemson, ranked number 1, meets Miami (Fla.), ranked number 7, in Charlotte, North Carolina, in the ACC Championship game. The Tigers prevail, 38-3.
- December 3: The Clemson House structure, stripped to a shell, is imploded on an overcast morning.