2007 Clemson Football Season
2007 Clemson Football Season
August 12 - Fan Appreciation Day
The Clemson football team will hold its annual Fan Appreciation Day in Memorial Stadium on Sunday, August 12 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. All Clemson players and coaches will be available for autographs and to pose for photos under the North, South and West Stands of Memorial Stadium. The first 1000 youngsters 8th grade and under entering through Gate 5 (only) will be given a Clemson t-shirt. Defensive players will be available under the North Stands and offensive players will be stationed underneath the South Stands. Due to the expected demand and in an attempt to accommodate as many fans as possible, fans will only be allowed to have one item autographed or one picture taken with James Davis and C.J. Spiller, who will both be available near the South Stand elevators. Those fans who want Coach Bowden's autograph or picture should enter at the gate at Howard's Rock. Also due to demand and in order to accommodate the most fans possible, fans will only be allowed to get one item autographed or one picture taken with Coach Bowden. Clemson football posters and free soft drinks will be available compliments of Coca Cola. The IPTAY and Ticket Office will be open from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. for those fans who want to purchase tickets or a 2007 Clemson Media Guide. Parking will be available in Lot 4, Lot 5, the physical plant parking lot behind Fike Recreation Center and along the streets near Memorial Stadium. The men's and women's outside restrooms at the East Gate of the stadium will be open from noon until 6:00 p.m. on the day of the event.
- W Clemson 24, FSU 18
Clemson hosts the Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks. Hall of Fame. Kick-off at 1 p.m.
- W Clemson 49, Louisiana Monroe 26
Clemson hosts the Furman Paladins in Death Valley. Family Weekend. Kick-off at 1 p.m.
- W Clemson 38, Furman 10
Clemson plays at N.C. State in Raleigh.
- W Clemson 42, N.C. State 20
- Overall, Clemson has a 47-27-1 lead in the series against NC State, including a 16-15 lead in games in Raleigh and a 11-8 lead in games played at Carter-Finley Stadium. Clemson holds a 20-11 record in games played at Clemson, including a 17-11 mark at Death Valley.
- The series dates to 1899 when Clemson was victorious 24-0 in a game played in Rock Hill, SC. That was just the fourth year of Clemson football and the 16th game in the school's history.
- Eight of the last 10 games have been decided by eight points or less, including two of the last three. The 2004 game at Clemson was decided on the last play of the game when Charles Bennett made an interception at the goal line. Last year's game was a 20-14 Clemson win and NC State drove to the Clemson 30-yard-line before freshman Ricky Sapp recorded a sack on the last play.
- Each team has one win by 20 points or more over the last 10 years and both of those games were on Thursday night. So every day game between the two teams the last 10 years has been decided by eight points or less. NC State won at Clemson on a Thursday night in 2002 by a 38-6 score, and Clemson won in 2005 on a Thursday night, 31-10.
- NC State's last win in the series took place on a Thursday night in Raleigh in 2003, a 17-15 Pack win. Philip Rivers led the Pack to the victory in a battle of San Diego Chargers quarterbacks. Clemson's QB that night was Charlie Whitehurst who now backs up Rivers in San Diego.
- NC State was Clemson's nemesis team from 1986-1988. The Tigers won the ACC Championship each year under Danny Ford, but never beat the Pack in the process, losing all three seasons. It was the only loss for Clemson in the ACC in each of those years.
- Tommy Bowden is 5-3 against NC State since he has been at Clemson. That includes a 2-2 record in Raleigh and a 3-1 ledger at Clemson. Clemson's wins under Bowden in Raleigh took place in 2001 and 2005.
- In recent years the two teams have won in two-game sets. Clemson won in 1996 and 1997. NC State followed with victories in 1998 and 1999, then Clemson won in 2000 and 2001 behind Woody Dantzler who rushed for at least 100 yards from the quarterback position in each game. NC State won in 2002 and 2003 behind Phillip Rivers, while Clemson won in 2004 and 2005. Clemson then broke the streak last year by also winning, extending the streak to three games.
- Clemson's longest winning streak in the series is five games (1981-1985), while NC State's longest winning streak in the series is six (1971-1976).
Facts courtesy of the Clemson Athletic Department news release about the N.C. State game.
Clemson plays at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Kick-off at 3:30 p.m.
- L Clemson 3, Georgia Tech 13
- Clemson won three in a row from 2001-03, including the 2003 game in Atlanta by a 39-3 score. That was Clemson's largest margin of victory in the series since a 73-0 Tiger win in Atlanta in 1903 when Heisman was the Clemson coach and is the only game in the series since 1995 that has not been decided by five points or less.
- The Tigers have an 9-5 advantage in games at Clemson, but Georgia Tech leads 40-13-2 in games played in Atlanta. Every game between the two teams between 1907-74 era was held in Atlanta. Clemson's only wins in those 36 meetings came in 1907, 1936, 1945 and 1969. The 1969 victory was Frank Howard's final season as head coach. Howard won just twice in his career in Atlanta.
- The first time Georgia Tech played in Clemson's stadium was 1974, a 21-17 Clemson victory. Clemson won that game on a three-yard touchdown pass from current Virginia Tech offensive coordinator Mike O'Cain to All-America tight end Bennie Cunningham with 8:26 left.
- Clemson has a 13-11 advantage in the series, regardless of site, since Tech joined the ACC in 1983. Tech actually joined for the 1979-80 academic year, but did not compete for the football championships, nor play Clemson as an ACC game, until 1983.
- Since Tommy Bowden has been the head coach, the Clemson vs. Georgia Tech games have been high scoring with the exception of the 2005 game. The point total for the eight games is 244-187 in favor of the Tigers, giving Clemson a 30.5-23.4 average victory during the time. But, in the won-loss column the teams are tied 4-4
- Woodrow Dantzler had one of the best all-around games of his career with 164 yards rushing and 254 yards passing in the Clemson victory in 2001. He threw for two scores and ran for two, including a 38-yard "Hail Mary Run" on the last play of the first half to cut Tech's lead to 19-14 at intermission. His 63-yard scoring pass to J.J. McKelvey with 1:58 left put Clemson ahead by three, but Tech tied the count with a 20-yard field goal with just six seconds left. Dantzler's "walk-off" six-yard touchdown in overtime gave Clemson the win.
- Clemson has had just two games in its history in which both teams scored in the 40s. They have both taken place at Georgia Tech under Bowden. Tech won 45-42 in 1999 and Clemson won 47-44 in overtime in 2001 in Atlanta.
- One of the most unusual statistical occurrences in Clemson history took place during Clemson's 33-12 victory over Georgia Tech in 1987 at Clemson. Clemson entered the game with a streak of 999 consecutive combined punt returns and kickoff returns without a touchdown dating to 1970. Then, on the 1000th return, Donnell Woolford raced 78 yards with a punt return for a touchdown. Then, later in the game Joe Henderson returned a kickoff return 95 yards for a touchdown. It is the only game in Clemson history that the Tigers have returned a punt return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown.
Facts courtesy of the Clemson Athletic Department news release.
Clemson hosts Virginia Tech in Memorial Stadium, kick-off at 6 p.m.
L Clemson 23, Virginia Tech 41
Clemson hosts Central Michigan in Death Valley. Homecoming.
W Tigers 70, Central Michigan 14
Clemson plays at Maryland in College Park.
W Clemson 30, Maryland 17
Clemson plays at Duke in Durham.
W Clemson 47, Duke 10
Clemson hosts Wake Forest in Memorial Stadium. IPTAY Day/Youth Day.
W Clemson 44, Wake Forest 10
Clemson hosts Boston College in Death Valley. Football Reunion Day.
L Clemson 17, Boston College 20
Clemson meets South Carolina in Williams-Brice Stadium on Thanksgiving weekend.
W Clemson 23, South Carolina 21
Clemson meets Auburn in the Chik-Fil-A Bowl in Atlanta at 7:30 p.m., televised by ESPN.
L Clemson 20, Auburn 23
This the ClemsonWiki project's 799th article.