Jump to navigation Jump to search
1900 in Clemson History
Events that occurred in 1900:
- Pickens County reaches a population of 19,000 again, after having been dropped by the creation of Oconee County.
- An addition is added to the Chemistry Building, (now Hardin Hall).
- Mechanics Hall is erected, the center of engineering education on campus. A three-story building with a two-story wing, it also boasts a clock tower. It will burn down in 1926.
- The College sponsors eleven educational "institutes" around the state, attracting some 5,000 persons. Clemson faculty lecture at these. (Kohl, Michael F., "A Youthful Administrator: Henry Simms Hartzog, 1893-1897", "Tradition: A History of the Presidency of Clemson University", McKale, Donald M., editor, Mercer University Press, Macon, Georgia, 1988, ISBN 0-86554-296-1, pages 60-61)
- March 27:Clemson baseball team defeats Cornell University, 9-7.
- April 7: Clemson baseball team defeats Erskine, 6-2.
- April 14: Clemson baseball team defeats Furman, 5-1.
- April 20: Clemson baseball team defeated by Erskine, 7-13.
- April 27: Clemson baseball team defeated by Wofford, 0-6.
- April 30: At Vaughan, Mississippi, Illinois Central passenger train No. 1, the Cannonball, crashes into the rear of freight train No. 83 which is fouling the main line out of a siding at 3:52 a.m. on the Water Valley District of the Mississippi Division. Engineer of 2-6-0 Mogul No. 382, John Luther "Casey" Jones, the only fatality, is found to be solely at fault by the ensuing investigation for having disregarded safety warnings behind the stalled train. The accident spawns the vastly popular "Ballad of Casey Jones" by roundhouse worker and friend of the deceased, Wallace Saunders, and the root theme for a Grateful Dead song titled "Casey Jones".
- May 5: The sixth annual contest of the Columbian Literary Society is held on Friday night, this date. "On account of the sickness of Mr. Phillips the debate was omitted from the order od exercises." ("Local and Alumni", The Clemson College Chronicle, June 1900, Volume III, No. 9, page 375.)
- May 7: Clemson baseball team defeats Charleston College, 12-0, in a game played at Clemson.
- May 9: Clemson baseball team defeats the South Carolina Military Academy, 9-0. The Citadel traveled to Clemson.
- May 11: Clemson baseball team defeats Newberry College, 2-1.
- May 12: Clemson baseball team defeats South Carolina College, 5-4.
- May 16: Clemson baseball team defeats the University of Georgia, 13-3.
- June 8: Commencement opens at 11 a.m. with an address to the graduating class by Pres. George T. Winston, LL.D. An Alumni Address is presented at 8:30 p.m. by R. McLendon.
- June 9: Commencement exercises and delivery of diplomas takes place at 11 a.m. The Glee Club presents entertainment at 8:30 p.m.
- June 10: Baccalaureate sermon presented by Bishop Ellison Capers at 11 a.m. Farewell exercises take place at the Y.M.C.A. at 8:30 p.m.
- June 11: The Annual Hop is given by the Junior Class on Monday night.
- Summer: The Senior or Dynamo Laboratory for the Electrical Department is designed by Professor Walter Merritt Riggs and built this summer. (The Clemson College Annual of 1907, page 65.)
- September 12: First quarter begins.
- October-November: First-year football Coach John Heisman guides the Tigers to their first undefeated season, going 6-0.
- October 19: The Tigers shut-out Davidson in home opener, 64-0, in second match-up with the school. Clemson leads series, 2-0.
- October 22: Clemson shuts-out Wofford in road game, 21-0, the second time these teams meet. Tigers lead series, 2-0.
- November 1: Clemson blanks the University of South Carolina for the third straight year in the traditional Thursday game during State Fair Week, 51-0, the largest margin to date. South Carolina achieves marginal winning season record at 4-3. The Tigers lead the series, 4-1.
- November 10: Clemson secures first win against Georgia, 39-5, playing in Athens. Clemson's previous three losses were also road games. Georgia leads the series, 3-1.
- November 19: Second quarter begins.
- November 24: The Tigers defeat Virginia Tech, 12-5, in first match with the school, in a game played in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- November 29: Thanksgiving - Clemson faces the University of Alabama for the first time in the final game of the season, played in Birmingham, Alabama. The Tigers blank 'Bama, 35-0.
- Baseball scores from The Clemsonian, 1901, page 191.